Friday, January 2, 2009

22

A much more profound entry by the same title written by a close friend of mine can be viewed here.

I turned 22 yesterday, on 12.31.08.

It's always interesting having a new years eve birthday, especially as I am seeing myself become more and more mystical about changes in seasons and the mile markers of life.

2 Samuel 22 popped up around the 30th, revealing that an inner cry of mine over the 2008 year has actually been recorded as a song of praise by David. In his book 'Velvet Elvis,' Rob Bell says that the greatest truth of the Bible is not that it happened, but that it happens. I believe I grasp that concept in moments like the ones where I see my reality written out in a book created thousands of years ago. The more I allow my heart to touch the Lord's, aligning my heartbeat with His, the more I see my present reality in scripture. The more I allow my heart to listen to the lies and distracting phrases of the Enemy's demonic realm, the more I forget the relevance and power of scripture.

I was in Dallas from the 29th to the evening of the 31st. I spent the day of my birthday striking (tearing down) a set for a youth conference, driving to Norman to quickly drop off my gear and grab by snowboarding clothes, then finishing the drive to Tulsa to meet my family for my birthday dinner at Outback (I drove straight to the restaurant, ran inside, and the waiter was there with my family seated, asking me what I'd like to drink). The car was definitely my office for the day, making phone calls with friends and planning out what to do for new year's eve.

Brett, Stephen, Madison, Jill and I planned to meet over at Stephen's house to mooch off his parent's church party's snacks, champagne, and wine. Gotta love being in Tulsa sometimes.

Also gotta love spiritual family. Brett, Stephen, Madison, Jill and I all go to Norman Community church. Despite being from different clusters, the Lord has aligned our hearts together, resonating in a beautiful way.

We decided to intercede and worship for a while, asking the Holy Spirit to come and bring a spirit of remembrance, thankfulness and worship. It was beautiful. God allowed us to see 2008 from His eyes, with the spirit of prophecy touching down to reveal themes, provisions, and faithfulness that all came from Him. Then, without skipping a beat, He was faithful to bring in vision, hope, and revelation for the year to come in 2009. 

The rundown of 2008:

God preparing hearts through purging, refining, redeeming, etc.
God assembling the troops through divine appointments, holy organization, etc.
God equipping the leaders and warriors with the gifts of the Spirit.

The forecast of 2009:

God will allow us to harvest more fruit via an increase in healing, rebirth, and renewed relationships.
God will continue to impart gifts to people as He draws his Bride closer to Himself.
We will learn to walk with God in His blessings as He teaches and leads us by the Holy Spirit.
We will be going on the offense, taking more ground in the Kingdom exponentially.

After that, we went around to each person in the room, asking for visions, pictures, words of wisdom, etc. that would be a covering for each individual in the coming year. Without giving out the intimate details of these friends of mine, I will just say that God proved Himself faithful over and over with accurate prophetic words and an atmosphere of tangible love that left all of us craving more. We had to take a break and went downstairs for the midnight countdown, but something felt incredibly right and good about giving the new year's eve of 2008 to the Lord.

To the religious, it would seem that our initial new year's plans of running around downtown bars and venues were ruined by an obligatory, drawn out seance of sorts that made us feel better about ourselves. But for us, we were blessed by the presence of God. You see, you can't conjure up the presence. He gives it to us... we don't take it from Him. Sure, He'll always give Himself when He is asked. But beware of the religious spirit that thinks the Kingdom exists in words and methods and achievement, while being sensitive and welcoming to the Holy Spirit who desires to commune with the willing in purity and truth just as any lover does.

1 comment:

Bri Johnson said...

Hello again.
Every once in a while I find myself reading the things that God has been revealing to you - usually seeing that the same words are being poured over my life. Funny how that works.

I just turned 22 this past week.

There have been some heavy words for my 22nd year that leaves me thrilled to expect an increase in anointing and intimacy.

I am awful at writing blogs about the things the Spirit of God is speaking to me. There really wasn't much a point in writing this other than to say,"Interesting. I know exactly what you mean," over and over again.