Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Brokenness Brings Us Together





I tracked vocals for my friend/musical influence Ben Kilgore (The Hero Factor) today for a project he's doing called Forgotten People to raise money for an island next to Haiti.

He's with a church that is raising $250,000 to dig wells on the island- it's a follow up to the past few years and after this I think the whole island will have fresh water- apparently it's the poorest place in our hemisphere or something.
During a break, we stood outside for a while and talked about 'where we're at.' I love these talks with people. Well, I've generally loved them recently, because through my brokenness and tenderness to the Lord, great things get talked about. I remember when I was running away from what He wanted I would hate these talks. But today it was perfect timing for both of us. We have both been experiencing some serious death and stripping (winter) being followed by incredible growth and life (spring). But the constant is always brokenness. We must have a broken and contrite heart- that's where our tenderness to the Lord comes from that will be the vehicle that enables us to hear Him. When we go to anything else we can expect to be disappointed and dissatisfied.
Open hands seems to be a big theme for Ben right now- He's learned a lot recently about just giving things away- God even had him give his two-day-old white RayBan aviators to a guy at his church that has a white Corvette who gave Ben a compliment on the glasses. This reminds me of a guy who had an Africa necklace at a praise night thing I went to. I complimented him on it, just like everyone else around me did, and the guy looked at me and said, "take it. I have another one in my car and I want you to have this one." He didn't know that I even care about Africa. He doesn't know that I have covered my walls with the prayers of a mission team preparing for Africa, Maps of Africa, and a flag from a country in Africa.
This is what happens when we follow the Spirit. He blows our minds, even in 'little' encouraging ways. Ben also said he's been finding more and more that God has an anointing on his life, just like everyone else that is a child of the Lord, and God will withhold certain blessings from being released if we are not living as children of the Light.
One night while he was playing at a bar, he handed out about 40 copies of his newest record, The Good Shepherd, just because he felt the Lord telling Him to. I feel like this is going to be the source of his joy. He has been given things from the Lord, and it is his responsibility to give it away- kinda crazy how I was just talking to my friend Erik Baker about how God has given him a beautiful story (his testimony) that is to be given away in order to bless others. The blessing is so often mistaken- It's NOT the paycheck. It's NOT the wisdom. It's NOT all these things we've hoarded for ourselves. It's GIVING THOSE THINGS AWAY- and doing it with a broken heart. God broke me, Ben, and Erik at different times in different ways, and He provided more than enough through that. Read Heidi Baker's book, 'Always Enough.' It fits this theme perfectly and then some.
So this is to Ben: I'm proud of you, brother. I love seeing you broken. You're right- you've been anointed- It's no coincidence that our Mozambique team just prayed Isaiah 61 on Sunday: "The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good new to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn; to grant to those who mourn in Zion- to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning (we anointed each other with the oil of gladness Sunday), the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified. They shall build up the ancient ruins; they shall raise up the former devastations; they shall repair the ruined cities, the devastations of many generations. Strangers shall stand and tend your flocks; foreigners shall be your plowmen and vinedressers; but you shall be called the priests of the Lord; they shall speak of you as the ministers of our God; you shall eat the wealth of the nations, and in their glory you shall boast. Instead of your shame there shall be a double portion..." I'm keeping myself from typing out the whole thing- just go read it. You belong to Him. He's ruined you. You've seen too much of Him and He has anointed you too much for you to belong to anything but Him. 

So Father, take Ben and just breathe your words into him. Replace his heart with yours. Your eyes instead of his. Your heartbeat instead of his. Allow him to tune in with you so closely he forgets his own voice. You've anointed him just like Isaiah 61 says. So Abba keep doing your good work in Ben. Keep ruining him by how faithful and good you are. And as he is quick to seek you earnestly, be faithful and quick to bless him with exactly what you want for him. Bless him with more of You.


God always appoints perfect times for us to be around each other, and today was no exception. I'll see you Thursday at the studio again, hopefully. Love you brother. Be Blessed.


-Blake

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad I'm not alone in this blog-world!

Like your stuff, bro.

AdamBarnett.TypePad.com