Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Satisfaction

Words from 'Utmost for His Highest' by Oswald Chambers in today's devotional:

"The refusal to be disillusioned is the cause of much of the suffering in human life. It works this way- if we love a human being and do not love God, we demand of [that person] every perfection and every rectitude, and when we do not get it we become cruel and vindictive; we are demanding of a human being that which he or she cannot give. There is only one Being Who can satisfy the last aching abyss of the human heart, and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. Why our Lord is apparently so severe regarding every human relationship is because He knows that every relationship not based on loyalty to Himself will end in disaster. Our Lord trusted no man, yet He was never suspicious, never bitter. Our Lord's confidence in God and in what His grace could do for any man, was so perfect that he despaired of no one. If our trust is placed in human beings, we shall end in despairing of everyone."

We should never trust ANYONE... hmm. weird.

Oswald Chambers is not Jesus, so we shouldn't just take him at his word, but I think I agree with this statement. Since we are all fallen people, we should never trust anyone with the things we need from God. I know, now you're saying, 'oh, well yeah, duh.' but wait a second.

How many of us are trusting God for everything that we need?

I'm not.

I can't. It's too hard. It requires too much faith. Not a day goes by where I don't allow at least one person to speak life in the form of a compliment to me and for at least a second I am illusioned by what they said. I have to constantly be in prayer about this, because if I allow myself to exist in that moment after someone said I was good or talented or anointed at something, I'm trusting them for the identity I must be given by Jesus. Now, I know God locks His word up in the mouth of a friend many times, but we must be careful to recognize it not only as a word from Him, but as His mouth that is speaking it... just through someone.

Welp, that's about it for today.

No comments: